donate to my cause

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We need some Paci advice!



So since Day 1 Seth has been willing to fall asleep in his crib alone! Thank you JESUS! For several weeks he has been sleeping all night, and only wakes up between 4 and 6a.m. to eat and then usually goes back to sleep. I can handle that!
He goes to sleep at 8p.m. and sleeps great until about 2a.m. At around this point we start hearing him whine/cry. All he wants is his paci. His eyes are not open, but he is squirming. I have tried to wait for a couple of minutes, but he usually doesn't go back to sleep. Rarely he will. The only reason I don't let him cry longer (because I believe in crying it out), is that I have to work! and function at work! I am scared to risk him starting to wake up multiple times a night again.
I have no experience with this, since none of my nieces or nephews took a paci. My Savannah was the only one that wanted anything, and she was a thumb sucker! To the point that at age 10 she had to have a device put in her mouth to stop it. I don't want Seth to be attached to the paci until he is 10!
So here is my question. How long should I let him cry before I go give him the paci. Should I take the paci away all together? I mean it is his BFF! The kid can't go without it. He plays with it, talks to it, snuggles with it. He LOVES it!

4 comments:

Whitney said...

I would say getting your sleep is much more important, so let him have his paci. Collier has taken one since birth and still does(he's 14 months.) I guess I'll probably try and wean him off of it around 2 but I'm not really that concerned or stressed about it. Sucking your thumb until 10 is rare (I sucked my thumb until almost 5 and had to have the thumb crib put in my mouth because I was embarrased and WANTED to quit sucking my thumb since I was in kindergarten.) I don't think your child will still want a paci at 10.

Lisa N. said...

Definitely dont take his paci away! We let Landon have his until he was 2, then only at night until 2.5...then I made him give it up. Seth sounds a lot like Landon when it comes to loving the paci! Maybe one weekend when you dont have to work the next day, rather than putting the paci back into his mouth, go in there and show him where it is in the bed. Sprinkle them around and since he is rolling now he can get it himself. It'll take some learning on his part, but Landon caught on fast and it was a blessing for me! My best friend, Ashley K., did the same with her daughter, Lydia, at 4 months old and it worked, too! (she seriously had 7 paci's in her crib at once!)

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

:( Sorry I don't have any advice for you Olivia! :( Hudson never took a paci or sucked his thumb...so I, too, have no idea! eeek!

Good luck, though!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

p.s. it made me smile that Seth talks to and snuggles his paci. What a sweetie.